Thursday 1 May 2014

Public Computers - Egads!

To finish off the 23 things training, TS staff had to go over to the library and use the public computers to print off our certificate of completion (it is posted on Google Drive, which is not available from our work computers).

Using the public-use computers is a learning experience in itself! I feel quite sympathetic with library users who are frustrated with our computers. The version of Internet Explorer is outdated, and the restrictions around installing new programs or updating existing ones are very limiting. I tried to check my email, and it took me 10 minutes to get my inbox open! This is a 10 second operation on the wifi at home….the inequity of access to internet, within the same city, is quite startling.
Anyhoo, back to the 23 things…
My favourite “thing” is twitter. Out of all the 23 things, it is the one I was already using on a regular basis, and I will continue to do so. It is great for keeping up to date with local and niche headlines and for connecting with interesting and funny people.
The “thing” I found most useful was to review the copyright and citation in relation to images found online; it is certainly a skill I will continue to use.
I was really impressed by the NB Libraries app, and very disappointed that it is not available for my Windows Phone. I think that that is one “thing” that I would have used often for both work and personal use. I already enjoy using the bibliocommons “shelves,” and will continue to do so through the web browser interface. For work, the ability to search the catalogue by scanning ISBNS would be great when doing on-site purchasing!
I am glad to have completed NB23. I appreciate having had the experience of writing a blog, but I don’t think I will continue on with it.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment